So, why the hell aren’t you wearing a mask? If you’re not wearing a mask in public, here’s what you need to know.
Countries that have mandated and enforced wearing masks have lower rates of infection and mortality from COVID-19. For example, take Taiwan, a country of nearly 24 million, has had 724 cases of COVID and only 7 deaths. Covid-19: Virus ‘success’ Taiwan to keep restrictions despite vaccine
There’s more to their success than masks, such as contact tracing, quarantine, and massive testing, but masks are a big part of Taiwan’s low infection rate. By comparison, as of 1/20/21, the USA, with a 328.2 million population, has 24.3 million cases of COVID and more than 400,000 deaths. Do the math.
Here’s Why You Need to Wear a Mask
- Protect others. Study after study shows that properly worn masks slow the spread of the virus.
- Protect yourself, again when properly worn, a mask can help prevent the virus from being inhaled. It also inhibits the touching of your face and acts as a reminder to social distance.
- You may be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. You might feel fine and have no symptoms but can still spread the virus.
- Help the economy. That’s right, save jobs, open businesses, get back to whatever the new normal will be. Yes, masks slow the virus, which will speed reopening.
Why the Hell Aren’t You Wearing a Mask?
Seriously, why aren’t you wearing a mask when you’re in public? I mean, what are you thinking? Here are a few of the justifications I’ve heard.
It’s My Right not to Wear a Mask!
No, it’s not. There is no first amendment part “M” for mask. If your local government says you must wear a mask, then you must wear a mask. And there’s precedent. Many jurisdictions required masks in the 1918 pandemic. There are even laws still on the books that outlaw spitting in public areas due to fear of spreading the disease.
It’s a Left-Wing Conspiracy
OMG, are you serious!? As Indiana governor Eric Holcomb said, “The Earth isn’t flat, we landed on the moon, and COVID-19 is real.”
It Doesn’t Feel Good
It’s uncomfortable, fogs my glasses, causes pimples, etc. etc. etc. Are you really that inconsiderate and selfish? Get over yourself.
How to Properly Wear a Mask
- No masks with valves or openings – they don’t stop the virus.
- Cover your mouth and nose. Someone said wearing a mask with your nose uncovered is like a man wearing underpants with his you know what hanging out.
- Fit it snug but not so snug you can’t breathe.
- Keep your mask clean or replace it, and please don’t share it.
- Unless you’re cleaning it, don’t touch the inside of the mask.
More Plusses for Wearing a Mask!
I asked a few friends for more reasons to wear a mask.
“I haven’t had to put on lipstick for like forever.”
“It keeps your face warm outside.”
“I can mouth derogatory utterances at people, and nobody knows.”
“No one has told me to smile, “You look so pretty when you smile, Really, well, you sound so stupid when you say that!”
My 90-year-old mom while waiting for her new dentures. “No one knows I don’t have teeth.”
Please Wear a Mask!
Wear a mask. Don’t be stupid. Stop being selfish. Show some consideration. Act like an adult. Because if enough of us do, maybe we can get back to something that looks normal before 2022.
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
Your an idiot
I guess we’ll see, right?